See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Spirit

I've been trying really hard to get my Christmas on so as not to fall into any Grinchiness that might be lurking about.

With things being a little more...ahem...challenging around here I've really tried hard to force myself into the Christmas spirit.

I tried to make a gumdrop garland from real gumdrops, but it was too heavy and too sticky. 10 gumdrops in and I was done.

So I opted for stringing popcorn with a few random gumdrops. It was going well until it got tangled, I threw a little temper tantrum at the said tangled string and let's just say popcorn was falling down around us like snow. It was funny and had Gabe laughing and that's no small feat.

I also tried my hand at sugar cookies, but they came out crunchier then I'd have liked. I still ate about 15 of them yesterday. I didn't feel full of Christmas spirit. I just felt full of cookies.

As we got closer to Christmas and all the presents are wrapped and decorations are up, and cookie coma had subsided I felt a little more in the spirit. So we embarked on an adventure...to the local mall.



Looks like I found my Christmas spirit.

This picture means more to me then you know but I'll try to articulate it. This picture is a first for both my Christian and my Lola. This is Christian's first picture with Santa since his accident and this is Lola's first picture with Santa Claus ever.

I was really nervous about this. Every week I told myself, I'm going to go the mall really early when nobody is there yet that way we can take our time to set Christian up and make sure Santa could hold him properly. I was really nervous because I had these images of a Santa with a bad fake beard confused as to how to hold Christian and ruining the whole thing or maybe even saying he couldn't do it. Wouldn't that be awful?

So when it was our turn, I walked up to Santa with Christian in my arms and told him Christian had special needs and couldn't sit up. Santa looked a little on the frail side so I really wanted to give him a heads up. I asked him if he was comfortable holding him. I mean not only is Christian not able to hold his own weight, he's got a lot of weight to hold period!

But Santa Claus is a special man and can do pretty much anything. If he can squeeze his big belly down a chimney to deliver presents to boys and girls around the world, then surely he can hold my little boy. He assured me he could do it and Mrs. Claus reminded him to support Christian's head.

My heart thumpety-thumps and sings a little song and does a little dance when I look at this picture. I'm pretty sure that's my Christmas spirit talking.

Sometimes it gets lost in the frustration of everyday occurrences but we truly have so much to be thankful for.

And just for comparison's sake...

Left: Christian's first Christmas 2008 (4 months old)            Right: Christian and Lola's "first" Christmas picture. 2010


May you and yours have a wonderfully blessed Christmas! 



Charlie Brown: I guess you were right, Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about.

[shouting in desperation]

Charlie Brown: Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?

Linus Van Pelt: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about.

[moves toward the center of the stage]

Linus Van Pelt: Lights, please.

[a spotlight shines on Linus]

Linus Van Pelt: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]

Linus Van Pelt: That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post - and photo! Love seeing photos with Mrs. Claus in them, too. Didn't have her when ours were young. Merry Christmas! Barbara

Post a Comment

Popular Posts