See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy Five!

There are so many things I need to update about. I have an entire Easter post thumping around in my head, a VNS update, a couple new friends we met I want to tell you about, and a possible new endeavor involving a developing, potential, maybe coming to fruition...could it be...a quasi play/support group for moms of kids with CP??? Hush, we mustn't ruin it. Saving for later.

I'm going to take a second to give credence to this very important day. It was on this day, five years ago, that Christian's mommy - moi - and daddy got married. Yes, we've made it five years, folks. I think it deserves an applause.

I felt five was a landmark of sorts. Like an anniversary of anniversaries if that makes any sense. You see you have your first, and then your fifth (that's us!), and then your tenth, twentieth, twenty-fifth...you get the picture.

But it was a heavier landmark for us, I think. I've heard the divorce rate for married couples who undergo some type of tragedy by which their lives change forever is like, I don't know, 90% or something ridiculous like that. I'm not interested enough in the actual percentage to look it up, nor do I want to give any credence to it.

No, not today. Today, I'm giving credence to us.

We haven't made it by any means. I mean I think if you've made it, you're dead, right? So we definitely haven't made it. But we're making it. We've made it to today, we've made it to five, and it hasn't been easy. Not that our marriage hasn't been easy. That's not what I'm referring to. Life has thrown us a curve ball or two. We've faced some pretty tough stuff. We've fought some pretty hard fights.

But we've faced them together and I'm proud of that. Damn proud.

I'm not going to get all mushy and emotional about it. He knows how I feel. And I'm not going to act like we don't have bumps and misunderstandings or hurt feelings. We're not perfect, nor is our relationship. But we work at it. And by now, if anything, our hardships have strengthened us as a couple. Christian has strengthened us.

Plain and simple, he's my best fried. I know that's cliche, but it's the truth. We do this together. We work at it together. And we're making it.

So, know what I did with my best friend??? (Keep it clean, this is a family place!)

Well, it was another landmark day...we got away! A....L....O....N....E. Like without kids, alone. For the first time. Ever. And it was about 48 hours of just us and whatever we wanted to do. So we went to San Antonio.

And my bestie and I - we celebrated five.

What's up San Antonio? Fancy meeting you here!

 






San Antonio River Walk






   
Look what the hotel left us! Thanks, La Mansion!


Happy Five!


3 comments:

Meredith said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are an awesome couple, and five years is a big milestone. I'm so glad you got to go to San Antonio, what a beautiful city.

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I am so happy you both got AWAY!! That is awesome. I hope you had the BEST time :o)))

I think of the divorce rate, and also am SO incredibly proud to be on the other side. You guys are AWESOME, and I am SO happy for you!!

I think of all of the couples who have cracked under this enormous pressure, and feel a great sadness. We know how hard this journey is, and to be a broken family, and alone, going through this would be an insult to injury!

I love the pictures you posted too! Happy Day to you BOTH ; ))))

Jennifer Reed said...

Hi Shauna! You look so beautiful and your marriage sounds so beautiful too! Happy Anniversary!!!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts