See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Friday, September 4, 2009

Insanity


We're home...er...sort of.


Yes, we were discharged. But that almost didn't happen. Manny came up to get all of our stuff together so we could go, we're taking things down to the car, and the social worker walks in and says, "Hey, uh, the health care equipment company can't deliver your things today. They can't deliver it until tomorrow. So do you mind staying another night? I know you came all the way up here..." Yes...he was serious. We were supposed to get the delivery of Christian's feeding pump, which is kind of essential if you ask me.


I looked at him and asked, "Can we go pick it up?"


He said he'd go call and ask. You mean you didn't think to ask that while they were saying they couldn't deliver it? So he asked and they said yes. Manny said he didn't care if he had to stay up all night and syringe feed Christian, we weren't staying another night. So we raced over to the health care company after our last session of hyperbarics in Phoenix (for the time being) and made it there an hour before closing. We got our feeding pump!


It was a bittersweet departure. Especially for our roomie. We both said goodbye to him because it's most likely that will be his home for his short little life. We left him a teddy bear and we left some decorations we had for Christian for the next baby. The car ride home was long and it was late and dark when we finally made it to Tucson but I had never been so sure of how much I loved Tucson.


Now when I say that we're "kind of" home it's because we are in the process of moving. Yes, there is more on our plate. We were already planning on moving prior to the accident and we're actually moving in with family for the extra support and so I can concentrate on the kids and Christian's recovery 100%. But we didn't want to move Christian to the old house and then again to the new place. So we came straight over to the new place, which has been what's best for him because all of the medical supplies could come straight over. But it has been crazy! I think my brain goes into safe mode so I don't combust because I've been amazingly calm about the whole situation. On top of that, Christian has been amazingly easy to take care of in this whole transition. He travels relatively well, too. So I'm not uneasy about taking him with me when I drop Gabe off at school. I think I'm just so happy to be home that I don't care what's going on around us. Don't get me wrong...I cannot wait until this move is over! This should be accomplished by labor day.


Another hiccup - Christian's feeding pump apparently came with a bad charger. In the middle of the night last night, the feeding pump started beeping at us that it was almost out of juice! And there's no other backup, as we found out, other than syringe feeding. He's on a continuous feed of 40mL an hour. Yeah, not practical. Luckily the home health care agency pulled through and made arrangements to deliver a new pump and working charger at 12:30AM. I love when people go out of the way and beyond their job description. I honestly don't know what we would have done.


I also found a program that provides interim therapy while families are waiting to set up therapy so there is no lapse in services. How cool is that? So we turned in our prescriptions for therapy today and I'm hoping we'll get that therapy started next week.


Now the big news...WE ARE GETTING A HYPERBARIC CHAMBER IN OUR HOUSE FOR KEEPS TOMORROW! I know, it's insane. Many angels mobilized and organized to get enough donations to afford a chamber for Christian to use in the comfort of his own home. And the seller is amazing because they are working to make this happen for Christian, too. Again, I know, it is insane. Insane because amidst such tragedy, pain, loss, hardship, and struggle for everyone in these current times, there is hope, triumph, generosity, and faith beyond reason. This is really part of the miracle and many miracles that have happened to Christian.


God has shown me that despite such sorrow in this world there is love and there is good, without a doubt.

Manny just made homemade shrimp tacos. Yeah, we're home.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that ya'll were discharged and are home!!! :)

Unknown said...

Wow Shauna that is amazing!! Couldn't be happier for you all! :)

Rochelle said...

WOW! I'm glad you're home, thrilled to hear the news of the equipment you'll have in house and the temp therapy, etc. Shrimp tacos sound yummy - can't say I've ever had them though. In fact, everything you mention that Manny cooks sounds yummy. He must be a great cook. Welcome home, hope things settle in at the new place, and glad you'll have some much needed and appreciated help with the children. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too! Hugs.

cricket said...

WELCOME HOME!!!

Unknown said...

You're whole family is amazing!! So glad you're home and I LOVE the picture!!

Unknown said...

So glad you made it home safe and sound, albeit it with the odd hiccup (ahem, hiccup, I would be a headless chicken - good on you for maintaining composure and serenity during the move, just shows what a strong mummy you are!). Love the pic, so full of tenderness. And I hope Christian likes his new personal HBOT chamber!!! :o)

lisas said...

yeah!!!
i'm so happy that you're home and thrilled about christian getting an HBOT chamber.
welcome home!
that is a beautiful picture.
love, lisa

Cheri Beth said...

MAy God continue to bless you and keep you! Glad that you are home now and have your family surrounding you!

MommaBear said...

So glad to hear that you all made it home with minimal upsets. Constantly thinking and praying for your entire family. Christian continues to amaze. God Bless!!

Louise said...

So glad you are home. I came across your blog one day and I've been reading ever since.I am blessed with 2 grandsons,the youngest being 15 months.I can't help but think of Christian sometimes as I watch Chase play. God Bless you and may he continue to give you the strenghth that you need.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts