See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A New Chair and Other Comfy Things

Today was like Christmas!

Christian FINALLY got his chair. It's really more like a special needs stroller with bells and whistles.


Yup, it's blurry (stupid camera phone). But this picture was taken at the final adjustment fitting. Christian was really irritable today (not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it's a toss up between teething and tummy trouble). He was even a bit irritated when I put him in the chair for the first time. But then he settled right into like it was a recliner. I felt like it was Christmas. Admittedly, I was probably a bit over caffeinated today, but still. These are the kinds of things that seriously make my day. And look at that huge tray he has! Now all of his toys are easily within reach without being rigged.


That ever flattering, overly bright fluorescent lighting in the room was quickly avoided by the canopy. Loved that! And Christian is sensitive to bright light so a good canopy is serious business. But there he is above, no arching, no extending, no protesting.

Here are some pictures of it without Christian.


Why is this so important? Because this means freedom for us - both of us.

Let me explain.

Christian doesn't have core strength, meaning he doesn't have strength in his back or stomach muscles to keep his back held up and straight. It's very difficult to get him in a comfortable upright position because of this and that is why these seating systems are so important for him. Good positioning changes everything! It changes his mood, his responsiveness, his eye contact - all very important things. Not to mention it keeps Christian in good alignment, which will avoid serious problems later.

So what does that have to do with freedom? Well, prior to today we used a jogging stroller. It was fine but Christian wasn't terribly comfortable. I propped him and positioned him, but he would only tolerate it for about 30 minutes at a time. So everywhere I plan to go I have to ask...is it worth it? Should I carry him in and out because he'll be happier sitting on my lap? If I put him in the stroller, how long do we need to be there before he starts getting uncomfortable?

Now, we get to go. We get to go places. I like to take my kids places, whether it's to Target (Mommy's fave) or the park. From the minute I put Christian in that chair, I knew he was comfortable. Now we can go places...even to the park...and I know he's comfortable and can enjoy himself. We can do so much more! So this chair is...freeing. If that makes any sense.

Something else that makes Christian comfortable...



Again, Christian is sensitive to bright light. And we are in abundance of that in Arizona. So the vision therapist sent us some strap on shades. Christian used to cry on the way home from picking up his big brother because the late afternoon sun is always on his side and always in his face. He would cry the whole way home. Not anymore! The sunglasses seriously make a difference. Let's call them magic sunglasses!

And speaking of comfy, I've been wanting to post a picture of where Christian sleeps forever, just in case anyone was wondering. And when I walked into the room today, it was overcast outside which made the room darker and made his lights stand out even more. It looked pretty cool so I thought I'd share his digs.



He still sleeps in the crib he slept in when he was 3 months old. It's raised all the way to the top so it's easier to reach him. And, of course, the side railing is always up when he's there. I purchased some LED Christmas lights on clearance after the season was over and he loves them. He stares at them and reaches for them every once in a while. You'll notice he's got a ton of visual stimulation everywhere.

So today was like Christmas! Only the waiting for Santa to come on this Christmas Eve lasted 8 months! But we're so happy to have his new stroller. Now we can go places! Starbucks better have Mommy's Iced Latte ready because we have a new stroller and we're on our way!

4 comments:

sunflourchic said...

It's GORGEOUS! So glad that you all will be able to go more places and for him to be comfortable. He looks great!

Cassie said...

It really is beautiful and looks so comfy! And my goodness, Christian is so long!

Jendioguardi said...

What a great gift this must be for you. I'm so happy that you have your "freedom" back and can get back to doing more normal things to help you along this journey. He looks adorable in his glasses and I'm sure he's so much more happy without that nasty sun poking at him. =) Yay for strollers and magic sunglasses. Have a safe trip on your way to CA!! ♥

Rochelle said...

That is one sweet ride! Christian looks comfy and cute in it. Enjoy your trip and have a safe one!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts