See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Equipment Fairy

Christian had a whole week off from school last week so he just hung out with Mom, sister, and big brother all week. He was really relaxed and such a chill-baby that we made day trips to Ross, to the zoo, and to Jamba Juice for a Pumpkin Smash smoothie.

He was good and ready to get back to school this morning after his week break and he'll be starting his preschool transition program where he will go and actually participate with the other preschoolers in music class and circle time. I can't wait to see how he does.

His speech therapist that comes to the house said last week that he was the most alert and attentive she'd ever seen him and tracked from left to right, keeping up with the object almost at the speed she was moving it. Then the OT said that she confirmed with the PT at school that they had both noticed an improvement in Christian's alertness and attention.

Manny and I have both noticed this, too. We had a discussion about it the other day and both agreed that it was a combination of things: The VNS and the blended diet. (If you look to the right I've added a page of Christian's diet and foods we blend and feed him.)

I'm also so excited that the equipment fairy is coming Friday! A few months ago we ordered a new Tomato seating system to replace the plane ol' Tumbleform. We also ordered an adapted swing for outside (or inside) and a new car seat for this growing boy. The best part...insurance covered it all! Some people are blessed with a lot of money at their disposal, some people are blessed with more therapy opportunities, we happen to be blessed in the insurance department. We've never had to fight or appeal for anything (yet). There's no secret. We just submit our requests and see what happens and I never presume we'll get denied. I just presume we'll get the equipment we ask for. It's like throwing it to the wall to see what sticks, which tends to be our way of life when it comes to Christian's journey. It sure does help to have a PT who's a master at writing letters of necessity and a pediatrician that is supportive and experienced in getting all of the requests signed and faxed to the right place in a timely manner. If it seems like I'm tooting our insurance horn, I am. We toot all the horns we can in this business.

I can't wait to see the new goodies for Christian! But it will have to wait until I get back. My near drown moms' retreat in Seattle starts Thursday! I'm so excited and so nervous. Daddy will be home with all the kids all on his own (Lord have mercy on him) and I'll be meeting old friends and new friends, some of which I've met and some of which I've never met in person but have been speaking to online for the past two years! We all walk very similar paths and I'm so humbled and blessed to have this opportunity.

Now, just pray that all of our kids stay well enough for their moms to travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts