See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Growing Grass

"...It's a little like watching grass grow." - Makenzie's Mom.

I really couldn't have said it any better myself.

Day in and day out, sometimes I can see bursts of progress and account for every tiny leap Christian makes. And sometimes...it's difficult. I don't know if it's fatigue from trying to look for any progress made in a day or if it's constantly reciting what progresses Christian has made and getting tired of hearing myself. That combined with the look of confusion on people's faces or in the sound of their voice as I recite Christian's process and lack of understanding that - yes, opening his left hand and feeling for something is a huge accomplishment. What people want to hear is, "Christian jumped off the couch today and ran over to watch Spongebob!" Trust me, I want to say this, and when it happens I will recite it over and over again to whoever will listen. The day will happen but that day isn't today. So for now, I'm watching the grass grow.

It wasn't a stellar weekend. Unproductive and uneventful I would say. Christian was seriously irritable yesterday. Not completely sure why but my guess is that a big, fat molar is pushing it's way through his little gums. Not nice. But it was nothing Tylenol couldn't handle. I put his Converse shoes on for the first time in a while and he absolutely hated them. In fact, he was so frustrated that he cried the entire time and even lifted his leg from his hip a few times. We took the shoes off and all was right with the world again.

But today, Christian was refreshed and ready to go. He was looking around and focusing a little and I swear he was following me a few times. OT told me his team of therapists met and were really excited about the progress he's making. That was nice to hear, especially with the way I was feeling over the weekend. I did get some good, albeit difficult shots of Christian attempting to hold up his head...

Christian on Friday night trying to hold up his head.

We like this because it's an actual attempt to stabilize his head rather than throw it back in an arch. He is face down on my chest in this picture which makes it a little easier to try to hold his head up.

The OT also suggested introducing different stuffed animals that are big enough so that he can try to feel them with both arms/hands at the same time. I introduced him to a character from a Dr. Seuss book and this is what happened...

A love affair has emerged.

I didn't set this up, I swear. I simply put the stuffed animal over his right arm. I showed him with his left arm where it was and he did the rest. He began on his back and ended up like this on his own. He's even getting oral stimulation. I think he's in love. He fell asleep like this not 10 minutes later.

And, finally, this is Daddy pretending to sleep like Christian. No, he wasn't asleep but I thought it was a cute picture.


So after a weekend of wondering what was really going on with Christian, it hit me this morning. It's a pattern after we see Dr. Peters, the cranial sacral doctor. Every time Christian sees him, he's irritable and downright uncooperative for a few days and then, BAM!, progress again. Dr. Peters told me last visit, "There will be a time when you don't have to come here anymore." It actually made me want to cry. Really? There might be a time we aren't looking for something...anything that will help him? I felt peaceful about this. But after having three visits and seeing progress after each one, I'm thinking we'll go back for a fourth just for good measure and just based on what I've seen so far.
Slow....quick, quick....slow. Yet another analogy that describes Christian's progress. It's all amazing and frustrating at the same time. I never imagined I'd get so much joy out of such small victories. Actually laugh out loud joy. But when my boy is crying and I pick him up and pat his back and he's okay again or when he feels for my hand when I ticked his fingers, I believe this is the most beautiful, growing grass I've ever had the pleasure of watching.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know you, I cant even remember how I came across your blog but I have been an avid reader since. I am humbled by your courage and strength. Christian is beautiful, I pray for him. Please look after yourself, you need to keep well at this important time.
Love, prayers and positive thoughts.
Donna
Northern Ireland

Brooke said...

Love the pictures Shauna. They show such amazing progress! :-) The one of daddy pretending to sleep like Christian is priceless! I have to agree with what the person from Ireland said- take care of yourself - you are definitely an amazing person! You and Christian both are simply amazing!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures...don't worry about the rate of progress. Its all progress and in the right direction. Itty bitty progress or big fat progress - it is *all* amazing. I get how big a deal the non-jumping about watching Square pants progresses are...they may be little things, but they are huge considering Christian's injuries. The fact that the OTs think he's doing amazingly is just fab...plus you've even had a (shock, horror) neurologist saying how surprised they were! Anyway....just trying to say...what I want to hear?? *Anything* you wish to share about that handsome little man of yours - big, small, large, tiny - progress or just Mr C being Mr C. Love the pic of Manny and Christian snoozing or pretending to snooze! And his lurvefest with a Grinchy type character (difficult to see who it is...cos of the lurve!) So sweet! Big hugs...

Rochelle said...

There could be worse things that watching grass grow...especially grass as sweet, special and beautiful as Christian. He's doing great and every little bit of progress is another little miracle. I never tire of hearing your updates, even if they are to say that the grass is growing slowly and you're frustrated or tired. That's life and its bound to happen from time to time. You're not expected to be perfectly chipper, upbeat and so forth all of the time. The ones of us that are here on the outside looking in have only a glimpse of how hard this whole process has been - and will be - for you. But we are here for you, to support you, love you, cheer for you, encourage you, cry with you and to celebrate with you when that beautiful grass takes a sudden leap toward the sunshine and shows us one of his little miraculous improvements. Keep your FAITH strong. You're a great Mommy and its obvious in Christian's progress that you're doing what is best for him. Love and prayers coming your way!

Alicia said...

I am sorry some people can't see what huge progress Christian is making. You see it and, really, that's all that matters. Just don't let them make you think it is not a big deal, because it absolutely is!! I am amazed at how far he has come in such a short time. His hand opening and head holding is a HUGE deal!!

I LOVE all the pics, especially the one of him cuddling up and kissing his new friend. : )

Keep up the good work and keep the faith. You are doing a great job with Christian!

Unknown said...

Love the new pictres, he is gorgeous, precious, and amazing! Your blog continues to give me the chills, yup I'm addicted!! You're amazing, and Christian's progress is a MIRACLE and AMAZING everytime you update. He is gonna surprise the world one day I just know it!!
melissa sinclair

ferfischer said...

I can understand - we have times of fast and slow progress as well. And it's really hard for most people to see progress in a child that looks like our kids. But we see it, and our therapists and doctors can see it, and even folks that follow your story will see it too. Oh! and by the way - could you ask your cranial sacral doctor if they would be willing to find one for us in our area? I'd love to try it!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you personally (Jenny Fischer sent me here), but I follow you pretty regularly as well. Just like with Cici, I'm always excited to hear of any progress, no matter how little it might seem to others. Life is made sweeter by the little successes and it has been exciting to hear about Christian's progress. I look forward to reading about all of Christian's (and Cici's) progress.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts