See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Making Memories



We have a tradition. Every fall we go to a little town called Willcox. It's about an hour away and they have a pumpkin patch and an apple orchard. Can we go to a pumpkin patch (more like a stand in our town) and choose pumpkins? Sure. Can we buy apples at the store? Regularly. But this is a tradition for us and it's one of the things we look forward to doing every October.

Gabe and his pumpkin.


I was so excited to go this weekend. We usually will eat a really early breakfast at IHOP (Yay for blueberry pancakes!), then we head off to the pumpkin patch first where they have the best pumpkins - small, big, freakishly big, green, sage colored, orange, and white pumpkins. They also have produce you can pick or buy there and a huge field of sunflowers. Oh, and I forgot, a corn maze that's really frustrating, but Manny can navigate the hardest trail in 15 minutes flat. Me, not so much.

Manny and Gabe after they conquered the corn maze.


Lost in the pumpkin patch. Apparently I didn't get the memo that you are supposed to wear orange to the pumpkin patch because everyone else there did. But I look like I'm trying to steel a pumpkin under my shirt so that counts, right?



Then we head off to Apple Annie's Orchard where we "pick apples." I quote that because the past two years we have been too tired by that time to actually pick the apples. So we just buy 'em. The best part about the orchard is that they have a country store where they sell fresh apple pies, apple jellies, apple this and apple that. But they also sell my favorite...homemade apple crumb pie ice cream. Seriously, they slow churn it right there with an old fashioned ice cream maker. It takes 45 minutes for a batch of pumpkin or apple pie ice cream but last year they finally got with the program and started deep freezing pints of ice cream to go. Genius.
My whole point in describing this is that I was set out and determined to make new memories. We took Christian last year for his first time. And I almost felt compelled to go again in spite of what has happened. This is who Christian is now and this is who we are. Things have changed but things are still the same, too. We are the same people who like a good party, watch our TV shows, and love a good fall trip to Willcox. Things are different, but certainly not dead. This family is alive and I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are creating new memories almost to say - TAKE THAT! to our life's recent circumstances. We won't be beaten...Christian won't be beaten. This is our family. He's our baby who we're going to love and squeeze and expose to whatever we would have exposed him to before (except for germies and H1N1).
It was a good trip. I was excited to take my boys. It was perfect weather - not hot, not cold - and a little cloudy. It really couldn't have been a more perfect day.

So just for comparison's sake...

Last year, Christian was 3 months old and just way too impressed with his pumpkin.



This year, Christian is 14 months, and the pumpkin still isn't that impressive.



Me with the boys last year.



Me with the boys this year.


Christian and I last year. Christian was mad he had to take more pictures.



This year, again, pissed he has to take a picture with Mom.



So as you can see...things are different. But a lot of things are still the same!

And just because I promised...angry face picture after church today.

12 comments:

Shawgil said...

Shauna- I love the pictures. It is so great that you had a wonderful time as a family.

Shawgil said...

Oh...and I love your pumpkin under your shirt LOL :)

Unknown said...

Aw yay! I'm glad you guys went since you love it so much :) Gabe looks so different just from a year ago! They're both growing so fast.

Brooke said...

Looks like an awesome place Shauna!! Awesome family memory maker for sure!!! Loved the now and then pics! You look so awesome with your baby belly!! :-) Both boys are absolutely beautiful and have gotten SO big since last year!! Wowza!!! Just think- next year you'll have two boys AND a girl!!! Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful day with us!

Unknown said...

Love all the pics!!! Looks like you had a great day...then AND now! I like the 'take that' life attitude...go Shauna and Christian!!! XOXOXOX

Alicia said...

First, I LOVE the pics! You all look so great! I especially love the "pumpkin smuggler", you look awesome!

Second, good for you for taking the family out for this tradition. Traditions are so important. It is also so important to try to get back to your way of doing things. There is no reason you all should not be able to enjoy things outside as a family.

Way to go!

ferfischer said...

You're better than me, digging up pictures from before - although I do remember a trip to the mall to see Santa just after we got released - I did post those pictures - mostly because the expressions when the kids are with Santa are priceless - various shades of unhappy. We do all our regular stuff too - it's important!

Jendioguardi said...

I love these photos and the fact that you continued your tradition. Wilcox looks like a beautiful place and the perfect pumpkin picking area. =) Thinking about you all, always. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave a comment and tell you what a beautiful little boy you have!! Also..I don't remember if you are giving him baclofen or not..but that caused my son to have seizures. He has a brain injury from being a preemie and had a brain bleed. Anyways..he was on baclofen for his CP and now takes magnesium for it. It works wonders without the side effects of baclofen. Another supplement you might want to look at in case you haven't is fish oil! I have read great things about it. One more thing before I get off..don't give up on parent2parent....they have had alot of trouble with their server lately..so it comes and goes. Another great website is Braintalk Communities...from there go to Child Neurology...they are a wealth of information!!

Anita Elliott

Shauna Quintero said...

Anita - Thanks for the comment! I'd like to know more about your experience with baclofen causing seizures. Please email me! gabriels_mama@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

My husband, son and I were at Apple Annie's this weekend, too. How I wish I'd seen you, just to give you a hug and my best wishes to you and your family. You are an amazingly strong woman and I wish you the best.

Unknown said...

Oh Shauna! Great pictures. :D
We also go apple picking every fall, it's a great family tradition!

Love all the pics, Gabe is such a gorgeous kid! I love, love, love Christian's "angry" face in the last one, I can almost hear him, "Ugh, Mom...not another picture. JEEZ"

Post a Comment

Popular Posts