See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Go! Go! Gadget!

If you know us, you know we're always experimenting with gadgets when it comes to Christian. So back at the end of last year when we consulted with our orthotics doctor about new braces, he mentioned trial studies he was running on a new gadget for kids like Christian. It's called the Prizm Sock and it's been used on stroke patients to treat pain and tone issues without medication for a while. He thought it might be useful on little ones with tone issues.

He had me at without medication.

So he finally got a sample for Christian. It's a sock that is connected to two "buttons" that output electrical stimulation to the muscles. We apply special lotion as a conductor of the electricity and then we put the sock on, alternating legs every day. Then he gets the stimulation for eight straight hours.

After a few days I was wondering what exactly Christian was feeling. So I tried it myself over my hand and arm. I didn't feel anything so I thought maybe it wasn't working. Then the next day I tried it again with more of the special lotion and it felt like snakes were running through my arm. It definitely does something!

This is what it looks like:

After a week I can definitely tell that it has helped some with his tone. He definitely has more relaxed legs and we can bend them a lot easier. His PT said his spine is a lot more relaxed, as well. One of the benefits is that with a release of tension in one area of the body, other areas can thrive. It also improves general circulation in the legs, which is so important for kids like Christian that don't move their legs a whole lot.

Another gadget that just came today is from our awesome vision therapist. She always brings the BEST toys.

Take a look a what it does...


And it tilts! This is so essential for Christian. You can have the best toy in the world but if it lays flat, it's not gonna work for Mr. Christian. It's also super sensitive. The slightest touch gets a response from the toy.


Just because my daughter is so stinkin' cute, I had to share what happens when Lola gets a hold of her own gadget (Mommy's i touch). She just started doing this chanting but then gets distracted by the gadget.



I think she has our family's war cry down: "GO! GO! GO! GO!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts