See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Finding the better.

Christian is getting Ambien. 

And why Ambien could potentially be such a big deal can be found in this article.

I just wanted to go ahead and put it out there because I tried to tell the story twice with all of my thoughts and analysis and play by play. I told it once to my mother and once to my husband and the consensus was: Get to the point already!

So I did. Now comes all my thoughts, analysis, and play by play.

Today we had a neurology appointment. And even though my first instinct is to dread this type of appointment, it isn't so dreadful anymore, honestly. I actually kind of look forward to them because we have a new neurologist and we increase and tweak his VNS every time we go, which always brings good things.

But for today's meeting I had three new issues I wanted to discuss:

1) Clobazam: This is a new seizure drug we are considering. It's newly approved by the FDA and has the same affect as Valium minus the sedation. Sounds good to me, but I'm always skeptical about introducing new drugs. Especially when Christian is making progress and doing well. So why try it? Well...to find the better, right? Gah! See my predicament. It's a crap shoot.

2) Christian's Evenings: I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure how much I've elaborated about the extent of Christian's irritability in the evenings. He gets fussy and wants to be held around 4PM most days. This turns into crying and then only calming if I hold him. And often this can also snowball into a sobbing, inconsolable Christian. It's leading up to bed time and it's as if he just cannot fall asleep. He doesn't seem to be in pain because if he was, he'd wince or stiffen up. He just sobs and cries - red face, tears, moaning, just sobbing. It can go on for hours. And we have nothing to help him except our Christian cocktail: Melatonin and Ibuprofen. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. And I'll tell you what, it's a mind-rhymes with duck. I don't have a better word. Because that's just what it is. It is mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting. So, yeah, I wanted to discuss a solution to this.

3) Ambien: Read the article linked above to get the full explanation. But basically it has the potential to wake up the brain. We've tried another stimulant called Amantadine about a year and half ago. For the first day after Christian tried it he would get really alert but then after the first day he would get really irritable, almost overstimulated. So we stopped. Ambien is controversial and I've known about it for a while. There aren't a lot of domestic studies about it's use, but there are some miraculous results. I know better than to think this is any kind of cure. But it doesn't hurt to try. You know...to find the better. I've heard of a lot of doctors refusing to prescribe Ambien to children. I brought it to our ex-neuro and he knew nothing about the brain injury studies or cases. Shocker.

So this is how it went down. I mentioned Christian's evening episodes first, because, to be 100% honest, that's the whole reason I'm interested in the Clobazam in the first place. We can live with these little seizures. We've learned to. They're part of him, they don't really get in his way, I don't think. I really just wanted something to give him so that he will chill. the. hell. out. in the evenings. And being in the Valium family, it sounded perfect.

So the doctor asked me if it was a problem falling asleep. I've always thought that had something to do with it! It's like he just can't fall asleep. And then once he finally does, he's out for most the night. And he wakes up fine in the morning like nothing ever happened. So the doctor started talking about sleeping aides. That's when he said it.

Ambien.

Amba-what? Did he just say what I think he said? 

He did. Totally unprovoked by me. I hadn't even mentioned it yet. So I got excited.

Ambien is a sleep aid. But it has been found to have the opposite affect on the brain injured, the comatose, and patients in a vegetative state (lovely). 

So I casually mention to him those stories I've read about it "awakening" those who need "awakenings." 

He said that, yes, he knew about those. He also mentioned there haven't been a lot of controlled studies on it's use and that it has been more effective on those who are actually comatose, not those already awake. But that we could try it for both - his sleeplessness or to wake up his noggin. Two birds, one stone. Oh, I love me some two birds, one stone action.

We also agreed that we would put the Clobazam on hold until we knew if the Ambien was doing anything. He said he didn't think it would be a good idea to start him on two meds at the same time. You took the words right out of my mouth, Doc!

So this appointment went too well. No struggle? No begging? No frustration? What is going on around here!? I think we've hit neurologist gold with this one.

I called the pharmacy to see if they had the prescription and the pharmacist took the liberty of putting it aside so she could call the doctor to make sure this is what he meant because it's not usually given to kids under the age of six. I wasn't going to argue with her after business hours. But I assured her Ambien is what he meant and thanked her for her concern and follow up. It had gone so easily so far, of course we'd have some type of hiccup.

We're starting out with 2.5 mg to 5 mg per day in the evenings, since our main intent was to calm him in the evening. If it does make him sleepy, I don't want to give it to him in the morning.

Now, my disclaimer is that I understand this may or may not "wake up" Christian. I understand it may not do anything. I've learned by now that someone else's miracle may not be Christian's and I'm at peace with that. So I have an open mind and a guarded heart with this new experiment. It will do one of three things - nothing (I can live with that, it won't be the first time), help him fall asleep, or help him cognitively. 

It's all about finding the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts