See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Friday, April 27, 2012

Less talking, more doing.

I have a new motto for this year. It wasn't really a resolution because stating a resolution out loud is actually counterproductive to this year's motto.

LESS TALKING, MORE DOING.

Which leads me to ISR.

ISR stands for Infant Swim Resource (http://www.infantswim.com/). Lola has been participating in this program since she first learned to float at six months old. It was a gift. Lola has since learned to save herself should she ever fall in the water, no matter what barrier fails, no matter who's supervision she is under - I'm confident she can save herself because of ISR.

Last year, while at one of her lessons, I mentioned out loud - you know, that whole talking thing - that I wanted to help get ISR lessons for just one little boy. Not one in particular, just any two year old little boy. Two year old little boys are the largest demographic for childhood drownings. And Christian is a little boy, so, naturally, that is where my heart is.

Fast forward to this year, the year of less talking, more doing. With the impending heat of summer, I was trying to think of a way I could raise money to send at least one little boy to ISR. I thought of another online auction, bake sales, Scentsy fundraisers, Tupperware parties, I didn't know I just knew I wanted to stop talking about doing something and actually DO SOMETHING!

I also didn't know how to go about finding this little boy. I didn't want to violate any policies that ISR might have so I wrote them an email telling them about Christian and what I wanted to do.

Long story short, ISR presented us the opportunity to work with them and Crossfit Kids to make a video that will be on the ISR website, the Crossfit Kids website, and of course my little blog and anywhere else we want to put it. The video will be the fundraiser. The fundraiser will create scholarships for children to attend ISR sessions without cost being an issue. The video will be a tribute to Christian's life before and after his near drowning and it will also show Lola and her ISR skills!

Sterling's Story is an example of how the video will be done. I'm warning you now, if you watch it, you WILL need tissues.

This week has been kind of an out of body experience for me. I'm still soaking in the ripple effect this might have. My little goal was just to help one little boy, and now we have the possibility of helping more children.

So why do I feel compelled to do this? Among many other reasons of which I will elaborate in future posts, so many people have helped us along the way and I had no idea how I was going to pay them back. I'm even bad at thank you notes! But this? This is a way to pay it forward.

It's all part of that less talking, more doing thing.

2 comments:

mostly young said...

Awesome!!!

Sabine

Jen said...

Oh my gosh....this is SO GREAT!!!!!! I am SO excited for you guys!! How exciting is all of this! I can't imagine how you must be feeling!

Yea you guys!!!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts