See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Crack

Last week was a tough week on Christian. He was (and still is) teething with multiple teeth, including molars. This caused more drool, more secretions, and more runny noses. But, in true form, Christian took it like a champ without too much complaining. We cancelled all of our appointments for the week just to give him extra resting time.

Then there was Wednesday.

On Wednesday night, I was stretching Christian out as we do every night. In a sitting position, Christian does really well. His hips aren't really that tight at all. He's able to sit upright with support with very little tightness or resistance and he tolerates it for a while. It's his knees and legs that are tight. However, when he's in a sitting position, his legs loosen up and he can sit cross legged and with knees side lying to both sides.

As I was stretching him out, I had him in a sitting position with his back against me. I grabbed his right leg and pulled it in at the knee. No resistance, just a little tight but no where near as tight as it's been before. Then I hear....a crack.

It was so scary. I laid him down to see his reaction and his face turned red and he started crying. For the next hour I observed his knee to see if there were any changes. Nothing. No redness, no swelling. I put him to bed and he slept like he normally does. The only thing different is that his right leg was no longer tight in comparison to his left leg. It laid in relaxation like a regular leg, even bending at the knee. I considered taking him to urgent care, but wasn't sold on that idea due to his cold and exposing him to yucky things. And there were not physically visible signs of injury, otherwise I'd have taken him in a heartbeat.

When he woke up the next morning I noticed his right leg was really sensitive. He cried if it was moved or during diaper changing. It still looked no different, no redness or swelling. But it was obvious that he was really bothered by it. We cancelled OT on Wednesday, but asked the OT about it. She wasn't terribly concerned, but told us to ask our PT that comes to the house to look at it. Friday our PT came over and examined his legs. She didn't notice any leg longer than the other, signifying dislocation. No changes in the knee, but the reaction seemed to come from rotating his leg in his hip. She suggested x-rays immediately. So we got x-rays Friday.

Christian's pediatrician called on Saturday morning and said the conclusion to the x-rays according to the radiologist was "Probable Dislocation in both legs." I ask, "Both legs?" and "What does probable mean?" Apparently there was a note that the angle of the x-ray was not a common angle. In other words, because of an abnormal x-ray, it needs further review, another x-ray, or an ultrasound.

I have different feelings about this:

1. I don't think both legs are dislocated. If any leg is dislocated, it's the right one and that happened Wednesday.

2. If both legs are truly dislocated, this had to have happened a long time ago. Maybe when Christian had more tone. But that doesn't explain Wednesday's crack.

3. While this is a minor setback in terms of therapy, I'm more interested in what this means. If both legs are dislocated and they are repaired, could it mean he has greater feeling and use in his legs? Furthermore, as I mentioned, his right leg is acting more like a "normal" leg since the crack. So what does that mean?

Orthopedic surgeons...I have questions so get ready.

There's only one problem. I'm having a baby tomorrow. Yup. I'm going in tomorrow to have Christian's little sister. So I'll be useless for the time being. I'll be making the appointment for Christian in the morning in the hospital, but I can't take him. Daddy has to take him so control freak Mommy can't go. Grrr! Darn child birth! The appointment probably won't be immediately because from what my PT said, there are no emergencies in ortho surgeries anymore. We'll see how it goes!

The good news is that the sensitivity hasn't gotten any worse. He seems to feel just fine and dandy, his focus and response is getting better and better and he's been particularly active with his arms as he reaches and feels. His overall mood is great. The only time he gets a little mad is just for a minute when his right leg is moved. But I've changed his diaper and I don't get nearly the protesting that I got before. I would say he's feeling much better, but I've also been careful not to push him at all until we know what's up. So I'm interested to see how this leg thing plays out.

As I mentioned above, I'm going in to have Christian's little sister and I'm so nervous! Excited, but nervous. Please pray for Christian and his little leggy (or both of them). Also, please pray for a healthy baby and healthy mommy when all is said and done.

See you on the other side!

10 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm praying for Christian and for you Shauna! I pray that everything is ok with Christians legs. I know you must hate not being able to be the one to take him for his appts but give yourself a break- you're becoming a mommy for the third time!! :-). Take care and God bless you guys!!!

Unknown said...

I'll be saying some prayers for Christian's little legs, Daddy will do just fine, but I am the same way so I hear ya!! Good luck have your baby girl!!! You are a pro now though, so you'll do fine!

Anonymous said...

Shauna, This my first time commenting on your blog. I've been reading about Christian since day one when I heard/read what happened on FF. I have Christian in my nightly prayers since. You are such a strong woman! I have much admiration for you. I will be praying for Christian's legs and I will also pray for your baby girl today. I have to chuckle there for a minute to read how candidly you say "I'm having a baby tomorrow". :-). I really hope everything goes well with the birth and that your recovery is quick. Daddy will do great with Christian while you make him a big brother! Will continue to pray for your family.
Ivette (BABYMQ07 on FF)

Jendioguardi said...

Poor baby!! He's a fighter! He'll get through this too. Best wishes to you and the new baby girl. Thinking about you, always! MANY HUGS!

HesterFamily said...

Oh my gosh! How casually you mention giving birth among your other news of the week! You are such an amazing woman. Continued prayers for Christian and his recovery, and for you and your baby girl. I know you will move through this transition as beautifully as you have through everything else. Can't wait to see pictures of Christian and Gabe's new baby sister!

Rochelle said...

Ouch! I'm sure whatever it is will be able to be patched up and Christian will come thru it just fine. Hope all went great for you today. I can't wait to see pictures of Little Lola. Congrats!!

Unknown said...

OOohh...Christian, ouchy! I hope that they figure out what the leg crack was and whether its a dislocation or whatever. And Daddy will be fine taking him, I'm sure. Actually...knowing you, I'm not 100% convinced that you won't try and drag yourself out of hospital with Lola to attend (don't...you stay put Mrs Q!!!). Praying for his wee leg to get better soon!

Shauna Quintero said...

LOL @ Maz! You know me so well!

Maile said...

Congrats on the new baby girl! By the time I read your post I figured she was already here and Daddy had already had his time of keeping Christian. I hope you are doing well and that your new "Little Miss" is doing well.
I can't wait to hear what is going on with Christian's leg. What a strange thing.

aesmithcolorado said...

Shauna,

I have never posted on your blog before, but I am one of the FF July 08 Moms. Your strength and faith are amazing to me - you really make me want to be a better mother to my own kids. I love how you just keep after what you believe is the right thing for your baby - don't let anyone deter you from that path! I make sure to check in whenever I am on FB to see how you and your family are doing. I know your baby will be beautiful and a welcome addition to your family. I hopw all goes well this Christmas season and I will keep checking to see how your little Superman progresses. Merry Christmas from one of Christian's peers and her family in Colorado.

Aimee Smith

Post a Comment

Popular Posts