See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Deep Breath

Raise your hand if you're ready for 2010!
Now raise your hand if you're even more ready to say goodbye to 2009!
I am so ready to say goodbye to 2009. My husband read my mind the other day when he said it was the best year of our lives and the worst year of our lives. We are in such a completely different place than we were a year ago. It's a completely different life we're living in almost every aspect.

I am so excited about 2010. I know it's just a date. Really, it's pretty relative. But to me, January 1, 2010 will signify new opportunities, new revelations, plans, possibilities, and it feels like a fresh, untarnished, new beginning. I've never been this excited about the changing of a year.

I'm not even a big celebrator of New Years Eve. I think going out on New Years Eve is highly overrated. I'd rather stay home with my kids and celebrate with them sitting right next to me. And I get to do that this year. We also plan on celebrating by our traditional ordering out of Chinese food. It's just a thing we do.

Today was such a great day! I met up with someone from my August Moms group and we went to the zoo. It was the perfect day to do so and I packed up both Christian and Lola and we made our way there. I really wanted to do it just to see if I could handle navigating this world with two babies all by myself! Christian was nice and warm tucked in his stroller with his Elmo slippers and Lola was wrapped up in my Moby wrap. And it went great! Christian was minimally cranky, mostly because he was tired. So he slept. But he tolerated the trip to the zoo well. He needed to get out of the house and into the fresh air for a while. In fact, thinking about it, he did really well today! Lola just slept until the very end when she lost it. I'll tell you what, little girls go from 0-60 in just a few seconds.


Christian bundled up at the zoo, a little annoyed by the brightness of the day.

Not only did Christian's Elmo slippers keep his toesies nice and warm, but they were a big hit with the little ones circulating the zoo.




Mostly I felt so much like myself. And it felt so great to be able to do mommy things with another mommy. I used to take Christian to play dates and tumble classes and it was so much fun. I LOVED stuff like that. We obviously haven't been able to do anything like that for a while. I was seriously on cloud nine. I watched all the other kids enjoy the zoo and I saw all the other moms strolling their kids around. I felt we were different because my child is now different. But at the same time, I finally felt like a normal mom again. We all have our struggles - some moms were wrangling kids together, some moms were holding cranky kids, some moms were showing their kids the animals, and this mom was trying to make my kids comfortable and happy during the whole experience. It was the same, but different. But it was nice to feel that "sameness" again. The only way to explain it is by saying it was such a nice, deep breath.

So a virtual toast to more "Mommy Moments," new beginnings, fresh starts, and deep breaths. I hope and pray that 2010 is much better for everyone, for I know that we are not the only family that experienced triumph and tragedy.

There is so much we are planning for 2010 and I can't wait to see it unfold!

Have a happy, hopeful, wonderful New Year!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post! Your attitude is a breath of fresh air :) LOVED Christian's slippers!! I can only imagine how cute that was to see :)
Karen

Anonymous said...

You're amazing. I had to post that. I feel like 2009 was the hardest year of my life (2 kids 20 months apart, the baby who got sick again and again and had bad constipation related to an dairy allergy we were ignoring . . . and I felt old and fat and tired and resentful b/c I wasn't able to enjoy my kids or my job that I love . . . wah wah wah. Woe is me) and reading this post, it makes me realize that we al have it hard and we all look forward to a better future. That's part of being alive, and I welcome it. Thank you.

ferfischer said...

There are many more mommy and kid days in your future. I feel normal now, it's just not a normal that most people recognize! Happy New Year to you too!

sunflourchic said...

yay, i'm so glad you had a great day! i can't wait until the day get to be the mommy you have a playdate with! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I am believing the BEST is yet to come for Christian! Miracle is in the house! I know it! So glad to hear you got out and about! It is hard enough with 2 average kids that young... You are doing an amazing job and keeping up in great spirits! I agree about the party scene for New Years. I rather be with my kids or neighbors where I don't have to drive with all the drunks. My life to my kids is too important to lose to that. Cheers to a better year! I agree... GOOD BYE 2009! I don't wanna look back.

Lindsey and Santana

Post a Comment

Popular Posts