See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Something Bigger

Focus is an easy thing to loose.

I'll admit I've lost my focus a time or two...or ten.

There have been times when I've been so focused on the next best treatment, new therapy, or latest medical procedure or prescription that we'll adopt into our ever changing journey.

But lately...lately I've gained some peace. Dare I say it?

Peace is also an easy thing to loose. But I have it right now so I'm enjoying it and finding contentment in it for the duration of it's stay.

See, I'm beginning to discover that maybe this journey - Christian's accident, his recovery, and his future - is not about what he regains. There's something bigger, I think. There's something bigger going on here. Christian has a journey - maybe we can even call it a mission - and I'm going to put it out there that I'm not quite sure what it is yet. But, man, it's gonna be big. I can just feel it.

Maybe it's not about what he can and can't do. Maybe it's not even about us.

We went to church today...as a family...which is no small feat. And our EEG tech was there.

This is the EEG tech that read Christian's EEG on the night he was brought in. It was the night of the accident. My husband caught his attention because it was my husband who discovered he went to the same church and recognized him from the hospital.

The EEG tech told us about that night. He said after he performed Christian's EEG, he went home and cried. He said he prayed for Christian because he honestly didn't think he would make it. The lines on the EEG were flat. That means complete brain death. He explained how he went home that night shaken.

After the encounter with my husband at church a few days later and after learning that Christian had not only made it but was improving he vowed that he would be stronger in his faith and make it a point to go to church every Sunday with his family.

Today we saw Mr. EEG Tech and he came over to say hello to Christian. He told the story again and reiterated how sad he was that night. He said Christian is a true miracle.

I agree.

The whole thing really gave me goosebumps.

It is something bigger. You just wait.

Speaking of bigger...

We're 3 pounds up since no more vomit! I think it looks like it, but that's just me.

No tone in the hamstrings...No problem there!

"Okay, stop with the pictures already."

And what's he so focused on? That would be Baby Einstein. It's serious business.

5 comments:

Lucy and Ethel said...

Speaking as one who knows, I agree - the picture is much greater than you can imagine :)

Now that you realize it, you will be in even more awe than you are right now.

And the rest of us will be, too!

'Lucy'

HesterFamily said...

Totally agree!!! Christian is an amazing boy with an amazing family on an amazing journey! So glad I jumped on for the ride!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have found peace. I think that this is a big step in accepting and understanding your son's disability. My little brother has Autism, he is 14 years old, and my grandmother is constantly trying to find new therapies and she pays thousands and thousands of dollars for him to go to a specialized school because she thinks they can 'fix' him. Its so hard to try to convince her that he is not broken and he does not need any fixing. He just is who he is. Once you can accept and understand that then you will find peace and it sounds like you have. I am so happy you have found this so early in yours and Christian's journey. God has big plans for your family.

Colton's Journey said...

I'm a firm believer. God has plans. Talk about working through miracles and have the tech there to watch and learn. Small world that the two of your worlds came together through Cristian. I have tears in my yes from reading this post. God's got big plans!!!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

How amazing to run into the EEG tech and be able to show him how Christian is today. I agree, there is SOMETHING bigger than we can see. :) BTW, Baby Einstein is still serious business in our house too.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts