See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Little Hands

I have to remember this moment. Today was a good day. Christian has been going through something called neurostorms. His brain doesn't quite know how to work yet so it has these little "storms." He will tense up, posture, his eyes will roll back, his blood pressure goes up, his heartbeat increases, and so does his breathing. And then it's over. It's almost like a seizure but not. It's a normal part of a brain injury.

Anyway, as you know, we had a rough day yesterday. He had a lot of neurostorms. He was agitated constantly. By touching, his breathing, loud noises, everything. But today, he had such a good day. He had neurostorms but they weren't on top of each other. He was just relaxed. He peed a lot! At first they couldn't get enough out of him and he has been swollen for almost 5 days. So the doctor thought the excessive urination could be a symptom of his brain injury. They ran tests and NO! He's just correcting his body for all the liquid he was holding. Show them again and again, Christian, what you can do baby boy!

I have to remember this moment. The reason is that he is so relaxed right now. His blood pressure is normal, his heart rate is normal, his temperature has come down. I was talking to him and admiring him in his relaxed state. His hands, I noticed had unclenched. They've been clenched and firms because of the posturing for the last 24 hours or so. But they are loose and open right now. I played with his fingers and he responded by moving his little finger tips. It was amazing. His hands were like before the accident. When he would sleep, his hands would be open and I would touch his finger tips and he'd fan them out. Well he was doing that!!! It was the best moment. I knew my Christian was there. I knew it! He was so normal in his sleeping. It was like my old Christian.

Now I know tomorrow might not be like today but I'm holding that moment with him and his little hands close to me. I know he's coming back to me and he shows me signs all the time. I want to remember this moment forever.

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Shauna, this sounds so positive! I'm so glad you had such progress yesterday! Checking on you all the time!

Amanda Sanborn said...

Shauna, I can see where Christian gets his strength from,YOU. Keep up the good work Christian, I know you can do it!

Rochelle said...

Treasure those little moments. Keep believing, hoping and praying. We're doing the same with you!!

Brooke said...

YEA for those small miracles!!! I know how reassuring it must have been to see him relax just a little after all those neurostorms.....I hope today brings even less of those and a nice day for everyone......You guys are constantly in our thoughts and prayers Shauna......XOXOXOXOX

ferfischer said...

It's so wonderful when they sleep and everything relaxes. His fingers responding to your touch is really terrific news! And the "storms" or "sensory overload" is totally normal. It will get better! We did a lot of therapy with sensory stuff for that later on that helped with the agitation, and now, Cici can tolerate a LOT more! Keep fighting Christian! We're all here for you. And Shauna, I'm here for you too, if you ever need to talk. Jenny (Cici's mom)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear you sound so positive. It's important to appreciate these little improvements...and to keep such a positive attitude. I agree that he gets his strength from you! He should be honored to have such a wonderful mommy!

Nancy said...

I just heard of your story. My prayers are with your baby boy Christian! PLEASE let him be ok. I'm a mom to 3 boys, my heart aches for you.

Cindy said...

How wonderful for you to experience the calmness in him after having gone through a rough day. Continued prayers being sent for Christian and your whole family. He is one amazing little boy and has shown us all so much!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts