See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lucky Star

Christian had a good day. As my husband puts it, he's almost completely wireless. He was really looking around today and the night nurse said she thinks she might have seen him trying to track with his eyes when she flashed the light to check his pupils. He's also turning his head from side to side more, as well.

The pulmonologist came in and checked Christian. He noticed Christian was at room air (24%) and 100% oxygen saturation. This is good!!! He said, "I'm three less than that on a good day!" I have to say I'm not surprised. I'm overjoyed, but not surprised. I just knew he wouldn't have problems with his lungs or with breathing whether he had the trach or not. I just knew his heart would be strong, too. Our battle, or should I say journey, will be neurologically. There will be no proven medicine that can be given through his feeding tube for this. We just have to get him whatever therapy he needs and wait to see what his little brain can do. I have all the faith that Christian's little brain will heal. I just feel it inside me.

The doctor called Christian a "star" today and that's a big deal to me. Every time a doctor says anything remotely positive I just picture those doctors during the first few days telling us the situation was grim, bleak, grey, bad, critical, etc. No hope in their eyes and that's all we had to go on. We basically relied and continue to lean on our faith. And it's gotten us so far along with the thoughts and prayers from everyone else around the globe.

We got some really good pictures today and I'm so proud to post them.

Mommy and Christian time.
This a really good picture of his trach. The blue tube is for humidity only. It makes it easier to breath in this dry desert while he's getting used to his trach.

I'm so proud of my little man!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Such positive leaps and bounds Christian's making...a true star! Love the pics....and love the cuddles. Keep the faith neurologically....we will too! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I just started reading your blog. I am glad he is doing much better. We live in Surprise, AZ so I can tell you that Phoenix children's hospital is wonderful. Good luck there, He is such a cutie

Unknown said...

Shauna, I am so happy to read this! Christian is such a miralce, and I love that he keeps proving the doctors wrong!! He is a true fighter...I will continue to pray hard for your baby boy...LOVE the pic, his progress is so amazing!!
God Bless!

ferfischer said...

It's so great when you start hearing positive things from doctors instead of negative or "vague" things. You're right, he's doing great, and the signs of tracking and moving his head are wonderful! Love the new pics! What a beautiful boy!

RuddRamblings said...

What wonderful news! God is still in control and I believe that Christian's recovery is only starting. The Dr's know the textbook answers and your faith is in the Great Physician and he performs miracles! He looks great. The pictures of you and him together are so precious.

Shelley said...

I look forward to your updates each morning. Christian looks so beautiful and continues to make amazing progress! God will continue to heal your sweet boy, I just know it! More prayers coming your way!

Marilyn said...

Great news! Christian is just beautiful...and I love the Chucks on him! It must feel so good to be able to hold your baby again, without tubes/wires/etc...He is making great progress, I can't wait to hear about what he does next!

Makenzies Miracle said...

Shauna these pictures are amazing!!! From where I sit looking at them Christian is making eye contact! HUGE!!! He is engaged! WOW!! GO GOD!!! Keep fighting little man! Huge hugs and prayers from CO! I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

www.makenziesmiracle.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

Oh wow Shauna!! What an accomplishment for him!! He IS a star.....we've always known that, it just took the docs a while to figure it out!!
LOVE the pictures!!!! I can TOTALLY see him coming more and more around when you post new pictures!! And WOW about the nursing!! I totally believe he knew what he was going!! How exciting!!! YAY Christian!!!!!

minneymouse said...

Wow look at your little man! Love the sneaks. I am happy your star is getting good reviews from the dr.s. Keep going mom!
Becca, mum to Jasper

Caroline said...

He's looking fantastic and definitely making eye contact with you! Praying for you guys today! Looking towards Phoenix!

Tracy said...

More great news!!! Keep it coming. Your little man is such a fighter. Continued prayers for the gag/cough reflex and also for neurological recovery. Hugs and prayers.

Tracy

Unknown said...

He is so beautiful!

I pray to see his face wrinkle with giggles =)

Trisha said...

Look at him!! He's such a strong and amazing little guy! <3

Karin said...

Still following your blog and waiting daily to read updates about your baby boy. I just know that each and every day there will be more and more progress. I don't even know you, but I know that he is a fighter and he will continue to make huge strides. Go Christian!!!

kiera said...

these pictures make me so happy!!! <3

Unknown said...

Hello,

You don't know me, but I heard of your story from my mom's group in Maine. My heart and prayers go out to you, your son, and your family. I am deeply sorry this happened and I can't imagine what you have been through. I have a little boy born August, 18, 2008, (though am not a member of the August mommies group because I just heard about it with this story), but I look at my son and think of your son and my heart just breaks.

Please know you have my prayers and support and if you ever need anything from this side of the country, I am here.

Sincerely, Cherie

Post a Comment

Popular Posts