See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Friday, July 31, 2009

Not so bad.

It was our first official day here. And it isn't soooo bad. I've just learned that I need to take more charge of his care, which will really help me in the long run. This way when he's ready to come home, we'll be ready for him. The navigation of this place is a little weird, too. I'm able to get one complimentary meal a day, which I used for breakfast. Um, let's just say I won't be using those complimentary meal passes anymore and leave it at that. Is it bad if I miss hospital food?

The physical therapists came in to work with Christian today and it was great! They put him face down on a yoga ball and propped him up on his elbows, while holding his head. The PT remarked that it looked like he made an attempt to lift his head, which is awesome! They got him to relax and stretch and they even witnessed him go for his hand. Ha! See I'm not crazy. They did some stretches and joint compression and got him to bend his knee all the way! This is big because his legs are very stiff due to his tone. I can tell when Christian is upset or likes something by his heartbeat. If the rate is high, he's pissed. If it's low, he's loving it. At first he would get irritated by the new positions the PT was using, but then after he got used to it, he loved it! They worked him out and he was so relaxed, he fell asleep in the swing. Ahhh, what a hard day's work!

After that I was talking to the PT and she was really familiar with HBOT. She said she was going to suggest it for Christian. There is a transport team here that will transport patients to off campus appointments and the PT said they will transport him to HBOT! Hallelujah! I was so pumped up about my conversation with the PT that I called the HBOT center, set up an appointment, and went over there TODAY. Long story short we're starting Tuesday! I'm so excited for Christian.

I also got Christian to track just a little bit. This is getting his eyes to follow something. He wasn't too impressed by his rattle, which I'm not surprised by because he never liked that thing. So I started using his bright yellow Spongebob Squarepants and he actually tracked a little! The PT later told me that red and yellow colors are really great stimulants for vision. So Mama went out and got more Spongebob and Tickle Me Elmo stuff. It is his birthday tomorrow so these toys work out perfectly! Like I need an excuse to buy him something.

My baby is one tomorrow. I'm so thankful we have a birthday to celebrate. We won't be celebrating quite how I imagined it, but at least we're celebrating. All I need are my boys and Mama's happy. We are so blessed to have tomorrow. So blessed.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So glad your first day went well. Sounds like he did wonderfully with the PT. Keep up the good work little buddy. I'm so glad you are about to start with HBOT on Tuesday!! Hope you have a most excellent birthday, Christian. -Hugs & Kisses from Baby Sarah and Mama JayeJaye

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Christian!!! So many people are soo happy to celebrate this day with you!! Great news about the therapy, and AWESOME news about the HBOT, I can imagine how excited you are!!!!! Sounds like you are beginning to get adjusted there, that part is so hard, but it will happen! I hope you have a great birthday full of even more miracles!
God Bless You!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Christian!

Great news about HBOT... yay hope it goes well.

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Christian! I can't believe you are ONE already! You've touched so many lives in such a little time! You are an amazing strong little guy! We love you!

Shauna! Sounds like you are settling in better. I'm SO EXCITED That you've already set up an HBOT treatment! It sounds like Christian is making GREAT strides! It can only get better!

Rochelle said...

Happy Birthday, Christian!!! I'm sooooo happy to hear you got a PT that is encouraging and supportive. I have been specifically praying that you are surrounded by medical professionals that are encouraging and supportive to you and Christian. I literally was thrilled and excited to read this news this morning. I hope all goes well with the HBOT and look forward to hearing an update after Christian goes there on Tuesday. Enjoy some snuggle time today and give the birthday boy a big kiss and hug from all of us. My friend, Elaina, in Georgia, wanted me to tell you that she's been praying for you and Christian since she read about him on my FB. She called yesterday to check on his progress and asked me to tell you that even though she's never met you or Christian, and doesn't know you, that she's praying for both of you and hoping for continued blessings and miracles in his recovery. We all are!!!

Cindy said...

It sounds like he had a great first day there, Shauna!!

Happy Birthday Christian!! We're SO glad you're with us to celebrate this special day!! We love you, big guy -- keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

Great news about the PT being happy and the HBOT! So excited to find out how it goes! Happy Happy Birthday little fighter and I did not had a chance to say that congrats on your little girl :) lots of love

BunBun said...

Happy Birthday Christian!!! We're sending special birthday wishes and hugs to you. We're so happy to hear you made the move. It's only a matter of time before the nurses and staff fall in love with you and get to know you here like they did at the PICU.

Unknown said...

happy birthday christian! shauna, i found you from the august mama group. good old ff. i check in daily and pray for your entire family every day. may God grace christian with all he needs for a full recovery.
-anne

The Allison's said...

Happy Birthday Christian!!!

Morgan DaVersa said...

I am a friend of one of your August Moms. I just want you to know that you and your family and especially your little angel boy, Christian, are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I just know that you are blessed and everything will be fine.

Eliisa said...

I'm sure things will settle and get better as you get used to being in a new place...though it has to be hard in a less-acute and more residential kind of facility. But it's only for a little while, right? And then Christian will be home with his family...as it should be!

Happy birthday, big man! Sebastian has a little present for you, so whenever your mama gets a chance to post her address, we'll mail it right out! ;)

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Christian!!!! We are thinking of you and your mama!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday little Christian!
Hope to see you again soon! Shauna, take care, our prayers are with you. God has a plan for both you and Christian.

Unknown said...

Sorry Shauna. that was me - Aunt Pam

Jen said...

Shauna, I found your blog through the safe haven prayer blog and just read through all of your entries, I laughed, cried an prayed for you with every post. I have 5 kids myself and can't imagine what you are going through, but living in AZ this has always been one of my worst fears. My youngest son Zander had a terrible situation just a few days after his second birthday (Last June) where he ingested Crystal meth at his babysitters house and was in ICU with unknown brain damage for 3 days. These were the longest 3 days of my life, so I can't imagine you doing this for so long!
Anyways, to get to the point I just moved to Mesa and don't have a job or many real obligations at this point. I want to offer to help you out in any way I can. If you need a friend, a shoulder to cry on, someone to bring you anything, or just some company I would love to help you out. I would love to come and meet you and your beautiful baby boy sometime. Just let me know if I can help at all

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Christian!!!

Erin B. said...

Happy Birthday Christian!! Many, many prayers and rejoices coming your way today!!

lisas said...

happy birthday christian!!!
lots of love, baby cory & lisa

shauna i'm happy to hear that you're settling in and the hbot appointment is very exciting.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts