See Christian and Lola's ISR video!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Christian is slowly progressing. He was taken off of Versed completely (this is his last sedative). His neurostorms aren't nearly as bad and he's having periods of sleep and wake that are apparent. Did I mention I love when he sleeps? Everything relaxes, he takes long, slow, deep, breaths, and he looks like my Christian, just a perfect little angel, untouched by the accident. So peaceful. When he wakes, he moves his arms, although they're reflexive movements, they're movements nonetheless. We call it weight lifting because he bends at the elbow like he's doing tricep curls. We also rolled up little gaws into little dumbbells so he has something to grab on to. This will also prevent his fingers from getting stuck in a clenched position. We're always working on his range of motion so that when he's better, he'll be able to move and his muscles won't be "stuck."

Big news in the last 24 hours are the results of his CPAP trials. These are trials where the doctors turn down his oxygen output to zero. He basically breaths on his own without extubation. They do this for an hour at a time and then test his blood gasses. He's done this 3 times and PASSED EVERY ONE!!! I'm so proud of him. He's just so strong. His reflexive movement of his right arm almost makes him look like he's going for the tube to pull it out. It's like he's saying, "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!!!" Now that's the old Christian showing through.

We aren't talking about extubation quite yet because his lung secretions (I think it sounds like someone with bronchitis and it's caused by his inhalation of water) are still abundant and he doesn't have a strong enough cough and gag reflex. That's fine with me. The doctor, who I love because she's upbeat and aggressive, yet cautious at the same time, doesn't want to set him up for failure. I totally agree. So once the secretions decrease, we'll be ready for extubation. I know it's right around the corner. Then Christian can focus on working on something else, rather than his breathing.



Also, I had a routine OB appointment this morning and the doctor gave me a surprise ultrasound. I told her that if she saw anything that told her what the sex was to give me a heads up so she started looking around. So now I'm pretty sure of who Christian and Gabe will be big brothers to. But I'm not telling until we have it confirmed in two weeks at our big ultrasound. I already know Gabe is the best big brother but Christian will be an awesome big brother, too.

Christian is still sleeping peacefully. Blessings to everyone.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

That's great news Shauna!! He is TOTALLY a fighter and I'm so glad you're seeing little glimpses of the old Christian in there!! He's definitely fighting to come out that's for sure!!! Awesome that you like the doctor!! I think that makes a big difference that you like her and trust her! Sounds like she knows what she's doing for sure!!!
Awww....you're going to keep us in suspense for two more weeks!!! I'm glad the ultrasound was good....can't wait to see what the next Quintero is going to be.......

You're always in our thoughts and prayers......KEEP FIGHTING little guy!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Unknown said...

If Christian is half as optimistic as you are, Shauna, he will surely come through this with flying colors! You are an amazing example of why never to lose hope. He won't! He's a fighter.

God bless you and your family.

Caroline said...

Every day, baby steps! He's doing great Shauna! I can't wait to hear about the new bundle of joy!

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad that he's improving! That's so great that he passed the breathing tests! He's such an amazing little guy! He's doing so well!

Surprise ultrasounds are so nice! I can't wait to find out what gender baby you're having!

Allison said...

He is very lucky to have you for a mom, you are taking great care of him. Keep up the faith....

Much love and many prayers...

Nichole said...

My name is Nichole, and we don't know one another. I just want you to know that I'm praying for little Christian and keeping you all in my thoughts.
I'm so glad to hear that there have been improvements. Slow and steady progress is great.
Nichole Robinson

Unknown said...

I am so happy to read that he is doing better, he really is SO lucky to have you as a mom, you are doing a great job! I can't even image what you are going through right now, but I am praying so hard for you all! He is such a strong little boy, you have such a fighter...keep fighting Christian!!!!
God bless you all
Melissa Sinclair
(gavinmommy from cs)

Post a Comment

Popular Posts